As my luck always ensures, I had a rather eccentric middle-aged man sitting next to me at work. I didn't really mind him, definitely not as much as the rest of them who still giggle and smirk behind his back.
Situation. 3 p.m on a sleepy afternoon. Eccentric Man returns with a cup of coffee in his hand.
SLURP!!
SLURRRP!!!
I turn around, a bit irritated, hoping to catch his eye and convey my irritation. He turns around and looks at me with the most satisfied smile...
SLURRP!!
....and takes out a biscuit and noisily crunches it.
CRUNCH, MUNCH, SCRRUNCH...chew, chew, chew...GULP...
...and turns away like I don't exist and neither does my irritation.
**
Situation: Work as usual...eccentric man sneezes out loud. I almost jump out of my skin and he turns around...
Man: Do you want me to say 'excuse me'?
Me: You can if you want to.
Man: DO you?
Me: Do I what?
Man: Do you what?
Me: HUH???
Man: I think I'm going to sneeze again.
**
Situation: Eccentric man turns around, looks at me for a while and smiles.
Me: (Watching him from the corner of my eye all the time) What is it?
Man: Nothing
Me: Ok
Man: Continues looking...
Me: What is it? Do you need something?
Man: No...
Me: Ok...
Man: You know...you're a nice girl.
Me: Oh yeah?
Man: Born and brought up in Bangalore no?
Me: Hm, yeah, almost.
Man: You're very nice...and I am like your elder brother...no? Sigh! See? This is the beauty!
Me: Of what?
Man: Of everything!
Me: Heh (whatever, dude!)
**
And one day, he began his monologue...
Man: Listen, money is power and power is knowledge, so money is knowledge and when you multiply money with time and divide it with knowledge, you get work. And work equals power when time is multiplied with money. Do you get it?
Me: No.
Man: Why not?
Me: Can you explain it?
Man: Er no...I don't know what it means. Let me figure it out.
**
A couple of days ago, we changed places and ended up at opposite ends of the same floor. Yesterday, he walked up to me, pulled a chair and sat down.
Man: Little girl, its boring without you, y'know...
Me: Erm....
Man: You were fun...
Me: Huh?
Ah well, eccentric, middle-aged, graying men are fun too, I guess.
<< Home