I heard the strangest thing during a boring lunch session today (by the way, these are those lunch sessions where everyone just sits and mumbles sadly irrelevant things to each other. One where everyone talks without particular interest in any topic, including the ones they're talking about). So there was this one lady that they were talking about. She decided to leave work early today because one of her uncles passed away in the morning (here again, let me tell you, she spoke of one uncle dying last Friday, one last Tuesday and many more over many other days). So the lady left for home. And the others carried on with some inane conversation about her, when someone said
“So, she says no one in the family can conceive a child for a year after a death in the family”
I stopped eating and looked up, a smirk written all over my face, and realized they were serious about this. No babies to be conceived for a year after any death.
I'm amazed, I tell you. For one, I don't understand why such a belief would get propagated, and even worse, practiced among any group of sane (let's also add educated) individuals. Reincarnation? Like your son being your grandfather's soul that got dragged back because you conceived less than a year after he died?
Or is it about unsafe sex? Are they getting you to be more careful? See, its simple. An Indian family always has some distant old relative dying all the time. So if you can't conceive for a year after a death, then you'll pretty much resort to safer sex. But then, no more babies. No more next generation.
Or is it a euphemism for sex itself? Ah, this is better! People, since our grand uncle passed away on Friday, I'd like to remind you, no sex for a year from now (and if someone else dies in between, the time period gets extended). Basically, you don't get to have sex ever!
Hehehe!
And oh, let me not forget the best thing I heard after this...
“...and she says this uncle died today because someone conceived after one of the previous uncles died”
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody kill me. Soon.
“So, she says no one in the family can conceive a child for a year after a death in the family”
I stopped eating and looked up, a smirk written all over my face, and realized they were serious about this. No babies to be conceived for a year after any death.
I'm amazed, I tell you. For one, I don't understand why such a belief would get propagated, and even worse, practiced among any group of sane (let's also add educated) individuals. Reincarnation? Like your son being your grandfather's soul that got dragged back because you conceived less than a year after he died?
Or is it about unsafe sex? Are they getting you to be more careful? See, its simple. An Indian family always has some distant old relative dying all the time. So if you can't conceive for a year after a death, then you'll pretty much resort to safer sex. But then, no more babies. No more next generation.
Or is it a euphemism for sex itself? Ah, this is better! People, since our grand uncle passed away on Friday, I'd like to remind you, no sex for a year from now (and if someone else dies in between, the time period gets extended). Basically, you don't get to have sex ever!
Hehehe!
And oh, let me not forget the best thing I heard after this...
“...and she says this uncle died today because someone conceived after one of the previous uncles died”
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody kill me. Soon.
<< Home