Monday, January 30

Haha! Ok this one was really funny! I'm sitting with a new finance guy. This is our second meeting (during the first one I very cleverly proved to him that I am terrible with numbers and that I have no clue about how taxes and things work). He is a terribly stern guy. Sorry, I can't do your tax planning for you. So you're saying you have absolutely NO investments that can get you tax exemption?? Why? How? What? When?
Bah! So this time, I am determined to walk out of the meeting with at least a tiny bit of my dignity intact. So I generally keep my mouth shut during the whole 20 minutes.
Benefit forms, photographs, old documents...
Ok, so I need your bank account number, a digital version of your photograph...blah...blah...blah blah
I'm writing it all down, quietly on a piece of brown paper when I suddenly sense him watching me. Erm...ok...write, write. He's still watching. He smiles when I return the pen to him.
Him: I've seen your face somewhere
Me: Really?
Him: (keenly observing every feature) Yes...I definitely have
Me: (in the income-tax evaders prison?) Oh...ok...
Him: (a series of questions about where I studied and where I lived).
Me: (Give him all the right answers. Quite stupid to lie ‘coz the guy has all of my information)
Him: Let's sit and plan your taxes.
Me: Oh...ok...(I thought I was the idiot you wouldn't plan taxes for)
Him: (rattles off a series of options I can get exemptions with)
Me: (Getting happier by the minute)
Him: See, I can't bear to see you so lost...someone like you...just makes me sad
Me: Oh (by now, I've been 'OH'-ing for about five minutes)
Him: So where did you say you live?
Me: It's there in the paper.
Him: (Stands up, puts his hands in his pockets, looks down at the floor with his head titled to one side, looking disgustingly shy, drawing a pattern on the floor with his right foot) So...you look very familiar
Me: (quite irritated now): Yeah. So...that's it with the paper work?
Him: (still shy and all) Amazing how this world works eh!
Me: (get up and pick up my stuff, ready to walk out) Yeah it's amazing and all. So see you then!
Him: It’s a small world no?
Me: Yeah…you feel like you’ve seen every second person before.
Him: I'm coming in on Monday...talk to you then?
Me: Yeah, whatever. Just plan my taxes for me and send me the numbers, ok?
Him: Sure, sure!! I'll send them to you this evening!
Me: Yeah. Thanks.

Hehehe.